Friday 5 March 2010

Nars Illuminates The Way

 

The NARS Orgasm line has become the brand’s biggest success stories, and every year it seems another Orgasm product is developed. The latest addition to the line is the Illuminator, a tube of pink tinged shimmery highlighter in the signature shade.

My first impression of this product is that there is a lot. The tube is 1.1oz ($29), which is comparable to a tube of foundation. It is a gorgeous shimmery pink with a touch of gold to it. This shade is known to be almost universally flattering. I do already have Orgasm in cream blush as part of a blush/bronzer duo, and it is one of only two products that I’ve ever hit pan on (All That Glitters MAC Eyeshadow is the other).

The picture is of two identically sized dots, one sitting on my hand, and one blended out. Once the color was blended out, it was incredibly hard to photograph – that’s how sheer this product is. It is an illuminator – it is not meant to be a blush or even a stain, but more like giving your skin that glow from within look. The liquid is incredibly light, and a little does go a long way, so it can take some getting used to in that respect. The pea sized dot shown on the back of my hand would be enough to sweep from my cheekbones up to my temples.

It can be used over or under foundation, depending on how much shimmer you like.  I think I prefer it under, as it is a little more subtle, and too much moves from “dewy” to “shiny”, and that’s not my favorite look at all. You will definitely need blush as well. It very much reminds me of MAC Strobe Cream, although the pink-tones make it so much more flattering. I do like Strobe, but it can come off as quite cool in some lights. Like MAC Strobe, it is also great for mixing with other products to create custom blend, and I can definitely see myself mixing up a tinted moisteriser with a drop or two of this in it in the summer as a light base that catches the sun. Finally, because of the lovely warm tone and the lightness, it is also great over shoulders and collarbones.

There are some people who may be put off the sheerness and thin consistency of this product. If that is the case, I would highly recommend checking out The Multiple in Orgasm instead. However, if you are looking for a subtle, warmed tinged golden highlighter that will add a healthy glow and gleam to skin, then this is definitely worth taking a look at.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails